Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Skin Care, Weight Loss, and Getting to Happy...

Hey everyone,

Some of you may know me personally, while others haven't yet had the pleasure :-) but lately, I am on a crusade of loving myself. So far, so good. This journey includes me taking time out to do things I haven't done for myself in awhile. Life is already short enough and there are things I want to accomplish outside and within myself. I'm loving every moment because I am discovering new things everyday.

First of all, I was cursed with very oily, sensitive, and acne prone skin. I have read every Cosmo, YM, and Essence magazine to try and figure out what would help beautify my skin. I never understood how actresses like Halle Berry says she only drinks plenty of water to maintain her complexion. Really? Just water? When I read that, I began to gorge on water, and yet, no change. Some people recommended dabbing toothpaste on pimples...HA! I tried that too. I've tried everything from witch hazel to Oil of Olay products. I figured the more expensive the product, the better chances of success. Boy, was I wrong.

A few weeks ago, I was introduced to a product by both my sister and my BFF, and I was rather skeptical about its effectiveness because it came from...you guessed it, Dollar General. I figured after all of the high end products I had used, there was no way I was going to see results with something that came from Dollar General. Still, after such glowing remarks from my bff, I decided to give it a try. I started using it and I can honestly say it's working! I don't have near the oiliness I used to, nor do I have as many breakouts. This amazing product is by Queen Helene, and it is The Original Mint Julep Masque. It is only a whopping $2.75! You can't beat that! You just wash your face before application and apply the masque and allow it to dry for 15 minutes and then rinse off. It is an amazing product and I am encouraging everyone to give it a try!

Another must I have implemented into my regimen, is taking my vitamins daily. I take nine vitamins daily: Omega/Flaxseed for heart health, a soluble B-12 that I dissolve under my tongue, a vitamin E for my skin and nails, Chlorophyll, Spirulina, a multivitamin, zinc; which is supposed to be a major pimple zapper, and Biotin. I have noticed since taking Biotin my hair is much thicker than it used to be, which can be a major damper if I have just had my hair straightened. The Biotin, vitamin E, and zinc are probably contributing to the clearing of my skin as well as the masque, but I'm not planning on taking the risk of stopping anything just yet.

The last and final thing I have embarked upon is...WEIGHT LOSS. I have been a heavy girl most of my life and I have tried so many yo-yo diets with some success at first, but not long term. Weight loss is a process and I am choosing to do it this time for health benefits as well as to set an example for my boys. I don't want my kids to have to sit in at my funeral at the ages of 4 and 5 because Mommy couldn't step away from the table. This time, I am dieting my way which means I cut a lot of things out. If I have a taste for pizza, I don't try to diffuse that with an apple. I have a reasonable portion of what I want, and try to balance it out with a raw veggie, and hop back on track by the next meal. I don't drink anything but water and Lipton makes this wonderful diet mixed berry green tea. It tastes great and has 0 calories, fat, carbs, or sugar. I do try to limit to one a day because I want to make sure I get in all of my water. I usually have between 4-6 bottles of water a day. I drink two during my workout and the rest gradually during the day.

I had to realize that I may lose weight slowly but just changing my eating habits, but by exercising, I maximize those results. So, I go to the gym now twice a week, taebo once a week, and in between, I will do 50-100 wall push-ups, 50 sit-ups and maybe a few leg lifts. Some days I have to force myself to keep going but I know in the end, the results are going to be wonderful. I do have a great support system and my sister/bff for life has to constantly call me and remind me to go to the gym and push me to keep going on those days I just feel blah. I didn't get this way overnight so I know in order to change, it has to be a lifelong journey.

Unfortunately, I didn't weigh myself before I started changing my eating habits, but I should know something soon. I hate to dog the scale because I can get disappointed very easily, especially when I know I'm pushing my body to the brink. It's okay, because I am going to keep going regardless.

If you guys want to add some comments about things you've tried or your successes with anything, feel free to post. I am always looking for something new to try.

Always remember, there are no shortcuts to success!

No comments:

Post a Comment